Ever-increasing safety standards continuously 'up the ante' with working at height and asbestos, electrical and chemical risks. There are ongoing issues and costs to manage, and hazards covered by additional building regulations that require familiarity across multiple laws. Help is also generally needed fast, with issues often slowing development, limiting the use of the property and impacting tenant operations.
Additional challenges include:
- Different safety skill sets needed throughout the property life cycle, from construction, operational safety and maintenance to divestment, demolition and redevelopment.
- Complex and sometimes hidden hazards requiring specialist skills, including asbestos, electrical, cooling towers, fire and emergency management.
- Planning applications that take additional time and money.
- Multiple contractors needing to be procured and managed.
- Different legislation across states and territories.